Find what you need in our FAQ
Why do I sometimes get errors in Word when using EndNote?
If you are working on a Word document and encountering persistent errors such as Word crashing, bibliographies appearing multiple times and/or deleted items reappearing then you may have residual EndNote field codes in your document. Residual field codes can affect your document if you do not delete EndNote citations/references properly (using Edit and Manage Citations > Remove Citation instead of the delete key) when working with Word.
To remove residual EndNote field codes and 'clean up' your Word document, firstly, make a back-up copy of your document for safe-keeping, then:
- In Word, in the EndNote tab, click on Convert Citations and Bibliography > Convert to Unformatted Citations
- Press [Ctrl]+A on the keyboard to highlight everything
- Press [Ctrl]+6 (above the "T" and "Y" key) to remove any additional hidden field codes
- Press [Ctrl]+C to copy the highlighted text
- Open a new document and press [Ctrl]+V to paste
- Now, ensuring that your EndNote library is open, in your new Word document, in the EndNote tab, click on Update Citations and Bibliography
This will reformat your document in your chosen style.
To ensure residual field codes do not cause problems again in future remember to delete EndNote citations/references properly if you need to (Highlight > Edit and Manage Citations > Remove Citation) instead of using the delete key.